Monday, December 7, 2009

A Season of Learning

A Season of Learning

I sit at my computer facing the end of another term. My second term as a Park University student flew by too quickly. I wish there had been more time, more time to write papers, and more time to spend learning about the fundamentals of math. Alas, time like a slippery eel in the hands of an angler has slipped away, and the time for reflection has come.

Throughout this term, I strived to improve on the skills learned last term in English 105 and to improve upon my weaker skills such as comma usage. I still describe my writing as green; however, this is the best color to be. I learned years ago, when I was a shift manager for a popular fast food restaurant, if one is green they are still growing. Growth makes way for learning. I like to look forward to the future. The past holds lessons learned, but the future holds lessons yet learned. Last term I wrote in my reflective essay that I dream of becoming a well-known author. I still hold onto that dream, but firmly believe, as the Bible tells me, that in life there is a season for everything. This is my season for learning.

I have learned a great deal about research and myself this term. I have learned that research is a process that has evolved from when I was last in school. Hours, perhaps even days, spent pouring over card catalogs are gone. Technology has given us the ability to do vast portions of our research in front of a computer. We can even do this in our pajamas from the comforts of home if we prefer. While technology has made the availability of information easily accessible and plentiful, it does not allow one to wait until the last possible moment. While doing research, I learned that I need to allow myself time to read and digest the information I have gathered. Learning is a continual process; this term I learned that I must read my sources, think about my sources, and then write about them. A concept I learned about last term, the reading, thinking, and writing connection has continued to be an idea I expand upon.

The reading, writing, and thinking concept requires the student to allow for sufficient time necessary in order to be successful. Unfortunately, this does not bode well for the writer, such as me, who tends to be a bit of a procrastinator. While I realized the research process was perhaps quicker than the last time I wrote a research paper, the time it takes to gleam the information is the same. In order to do the topic and writer justice, one needs to allow sufficient time to employ the reading, writing, and thinking connection.

When I am snuggled in my favorite blanket with a steaming mug of my favorite German peppermint tea sweetened to perfection, I enjoy nothing more than reading a good book. As long as the author invokes my five senses, it matters not whether that book is a sappy romance novel, an exciting mystery, or an intriguing non-fiction. I am almost certain that I learned about figurative language in the many English classes of my youth. Yet for some reason when we discussed them in class this term the light bulb turned on inside my head. I enjoy painting a picture for my reader as much as I enjoy reading a picture made of words. Using my words as the media for my art I hope to succeed in writing beautifully painted, thought provoking papers in my future classes.

In my season of learning, I will work on honing my craft. Since I am in the beginning stages of my degree program, I foresee copious papers written in my epoch as a student. With each paper, I hope to learn more about the given or chosen topics and take the opportunity to improve upon my writing style.

I think one of the most valuable lessons I have learned over these two terms is that writing is just like any skill. In order to maintain and improve upon my skill level I must continue to practice my craft. How might a busy student, wife, and mother do that? The numerous papers that I am certain are in my future will lend a hand in the need for practice. In spite of this, I feel that I will need a regular reason for writing.

For over a century, the leaders of my church have been counseling members to keep journals for our posterity. It is important for our grandchildren and their grandchildren to know the rich history they come from. I am finally feeling the call to maintain a real pen and paper journal, not the neglected blog. One day my daughter and perhaps her children may come to cherish my handwritten journals. Meghan's children may enjoy reading of their mother's antics and the adventures we have as a family. Perhaps the trials we overcome will some day help my posterity through trials of their own. I wish my grandparent's had written down their many adventures. Each of them lived exciting and rich lives, the stories they told me are left to my faltering memory.

My experience thus far as a student has been as rich as the finest chocolate available in Europe. Once I bit into the knowledge handed to me by my instructors, it melted and became one with my mind. I have thrived on the knowledge imparted upon me just like that fine European chocolate that leaves you with a divine sense of euphoria.

This term in English, I have learned that I need to allow time when doing research to permit the reading, thinking, and writing connection to absorb into my mind so that I can produce a quality paper. I remembered that writing is a craft that needs constant attention in order to hone one's skills. Writing is like riding a bike, you may never forget how, but you will not be as good as you once were if you are neglectful for long periods. I realized that I could practice my craft by writing my history for my posterity. Most importantly, I remembered that there is a season to every thing in our lives. Right now, I am in the season of learning. One day I will realize my dream of being a published author, one day you will see my name on the cover of a fine piece of well-written art. Then I will be in my season of creating.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment