Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Right to Choose


My Right to Choose
            Censorship takes away my right and ability to choose what forms of media I listen to, read, or view; it leads to the death of free thoughts.  What about the innocence of youth?  I firmly believe it is my responsibility as a parent, to censor what my child listens to, reads, or views.  This form of censorship is different, because I am not damaging works of art or destroying my child’s ability to be a free thinker.  Instead, through my guidance, as a parent, I am teaching my child what is appropriate for her at this point in her life.  It is my hope, that I will give her the tools that will enable her to decide what is appropriate for her. 
            Even though I do not want to give someone else the power to determine what is appropriate for me; I feel it is my responsibility, as a parent, to protect my daughter from harmful books, images, and music.  Through censorship, we limit the exposure our children have to harmful art forms or media.  However, we must teach our children what is appropriate and how to decide for themselves.  If we constantly decide what is appropriate for them, how will they learn to make decisions for themselves?  Would I allow my two-year-old watch a movie that is rated PG-13?  No, I would not.  Conversely, would I allow sixteen-year-olds to watch the same movie?  I would allow them to use their decision making skills to decide if it is appropriate for them. 
            Chelsea is the daughter of my friend Marsha.  In Chelsea’s English class, they had to do a book report on a book Chelsea felt uncomfortable reading due to its violent content.  Chelsea and her mother worked with the teacher on choosing a book Chelsea felt comfortable reading.  Chelsea would not have known what she felt comfortable reading if her parents had not censured her reading as a young child and taught her how to decide for herself as she matured.  In the end, Chelsea reaffirmed her belief that it is acceptable to stand by your convictions of what are appropriate and inappropriate forms of media for oneself.  Her parents realized that Chelsea was capable of making proper decisions because of the skills and values they had taught her.  
Censorship is a hot topic for many.  The views on this span a full spectrum of opinions, from the extreme conservative to the extreme liberal.  Do I want someone else to dictate for me what is suitable?  Absolutely not!  No one knows me better that I do; I know what my mind can handle.  I do not like violent films, I do not watch them.  Even though they are not desirable for me, this does not give me the right to dictate that violent films are wrong for everyone.  It is my opinion that they are not healthy for the mind and soul, but I am not entitled to decide for others.  The same can be said about the sappy romance novels and movies I enjoy.  I feel they are right for me, but can not dictate whether they are suited for someone else.  When we allow others to censor what we hear, read, or see, we allow them to take away our ability to be free thinkers, our ability to choose.





Written 9 September 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment